Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Mr. Peter McKenna
Croke Park,
Jones Road,
Dublin 3.
13TH April 2007
Dear Mr. McKenna,


Some say it was great, others say it was the best in Europe, others saw it was the best in the world. We had Politicians and others congratulating the GAA for opening their state of art stadium to other games because the stadium had everything. As a wheelchair user for over 26 years now, I would have to disagree with all these statements.
Sunday 17th September 2006.
All Ireland Football Final
Mayo V Kerry
After driving from Newport Co. Mayo both my P.A. and myself arrived at the stadium at approximately 12.45. We had to park in a field in Clonliffe College. As the grass was pretty long it was certainly not the right start. We had to profuse our tickets before we were let out of park. We wee met by a few staff, which took us up the lift to our destination.
We went to the number 407 South Ramp, as stated on our tickets, only to find they were taken by a wheelchair user and the seats on both sides by his 2 able-bodied companions. I had no other choice but to take a spot under a column, which totally obstructed my view of the game. When one or other teams scored I was not able to see what happened owing to people in front of us either waving flags or standing up. Some wheelchair users were getting frustrated with it all.
The wheelchair toilets were very dirty and were been used to have a smoke indeed the whole area was used for smoking. As the area was open it was very draft and no guard from the breeze.
Unfortunately there was no one around to negotiate the lift and it is a pretty long ramp to the bottom. I was lucky enough to get a ticket for the opening of the Special Olympics in 2003, but was embarrassed to call myself an Irishman as I was beside a lady who was also wheelchair user. She was from U.S.A. and had a daughter taking part in the games, but were she was it was impossible for her to see her daughter when she came out with her team.
It does not appear that any members of the staff are properly trained to . If they are, there seems to be no evidence from my point of view. I have been attending games in Croke Park since 1985 but since we were not allowed to park our cars close to the grounds, the enjoyment has gone especially having to all the way back to where my car will be parked and that is even my county wins.
What is your Health and Safety policy? Should you not provide positions for visually impaired supporters? Would you not think about installing headsets and a commentary of games? Are guide dogs allowed if so, what is available for them? Any positions for ambulant supporters. Are you conscious of a growing elderly population and their needs in order for them to be able to continue watching matches whenever possible.
The whole stadium plus car-parking facilities need to be addressed to make the stadium accessible for all.
I look forward to a reply.



Regards,

Tom Chambers
Disability Campaigner
"The Billy Ranch"
Knocknageeha
Newport
Co. Mayo
PS. I believe 14 million euros is to be provided to upgrade the grounds in Castlebar. Could you advice me as to who I would contact regarding having it accessible.

No comments: