Total Pageviews

Monday, April 14, 2008

A message from Tom Chambers,
Newport,
Host to some of Luxemburg’s Special Olympians,
Himself a wheelchair user for many years.
I suppose I would be a rich man now if I got €10 for every time I was asked if I were taking part in the Olympics. Okay I have completed against the best-disabled Athletes from many countries in Europe in the 80’s and just failed to qualify for the Olympics in 1986.
At my age now the nearest I will get to the Olympics is by hosting an athlete, which I am proud to do and am looking forward to attending the opening of the games in Croke Park.
Everyone old enough would remember where he or she was when John F Kennedy was shot. Even we all remember the bombing in the USA. But on the longest and greatest day in my life I hope to be with 75,000 others crowded in Croke Park at the official opening of the Special Olympic games.
We here in Ireland especially the girl’s think there are only 2 famous people in the world. Joe Dolan and Daniel O’Donnell. But on the 21st June I and others will have the pleasure of been entertained by the 2 most important people in the world, Nelson Mandela and Mohammed Ali and 7,000 Special Athletes.
The coming Games are for Special Athletes both children and adults with a learning disability. They complete in a various type of sports which gives them an opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skill and friendships with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community.
Special Olympics athletes carry these benefits with them into their daily lives at home, in the classroom, on the job and in the community. Families who participate become stronger as they learn a greater appreciation of the athlete’s talents. Community volunteers find out what good friends the athletes can be. And everyone learns more about the capabilities of people with a learning disability.
Hosting a Special Athlete by someone like myself who is confined to a wheelchair takes organising. But I had a good Committee behind me. I also had great friends and relations who on the drop of a hat were there to answer my call to which I am grateful for.

Many famous people have disabilities, illness or impairments:
Elton John Epilepsy
Steve Wonder Visual impairment
Christopher Reeves Quadriplegia
Magic Johnson HIV Positive
Mohammed Ali Parkinson’s disease
Ronald Reagan Parkinson’s disease
Brian Crowley MEP Paraplegic
We don’t think of them as "people with disabilities" instead we think of them as great artists, leaders, or sports players. So why do we label some people by what they can’t do, rather than what they are good at?
Finally, can I remind everyone that the Special Olympics Athletes Oath is?
"Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt".
Tom Chambers
"The Billy Ranch"
Knocknageeha
Newport
Co. Mayo.

No comments: