Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Club toilet attack leaves blind man unconscious

Club toilet attack leaves blind man unconscious

By Nigel Green

Paul MettersA blind man has told how he was punched and kicked unconscious because his attacker refused to believe he could not see.

Paul Metters had been enjoying a drink in a social club close to his home in Washington, Tyne & Wear, when the thug struck.

The 47-year-old had left his Labrador guide dog Oakley lying next to his seat to walk the few yards to the toilet.

Paul told how a middle-aged man followed him into the toilet and told others: “He’s not f****** blind.”

Paul said: “He kept saying that I'm not really blind.

“I told him that if he didn’t think I was blind, he was an idiot.

“I got a load of abuse and then he punched me very hard. I was then kicked about three times.

“I just curled up and tried to protect my head as best I could but I fell unconscious. The next thing I remember is waking up in hospital.”

The attacker and the others in the toilet left Paul lying on the floor, covered in blood, before he was found by other customers.

An ambulance was called and he was taken to Hospital in Gateshead, where he was kept in overnight for observation.

The attack, which happened at Washington Football Club’s Albany Park on October 4, is being investigated by police but no arrests have yet been made.

Paul believes his attacker made the comments just because he is able to walk short distances without his guide dog.

Paul said: “I often have to put up with such abuse, although it’s mainly from older people, rather than youngster

No comments: