Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Fw: To Whom It May Concern

 
 
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:16 PM
Subject: To Whom It May Concern
 

To Whom It Concern
I was taken to Mater Hospital at 2.30pm by an ambulance from Dorset Street Lower Dublin following an accident in my wheelchair.  At the hospital, a few X-rays were taken on my back and they found nothing wrong with my back. Their diagnosis revealed I only had an irregular heartbeat. Consequently, I was admitted over night.
At about 8.30pm, I was put on the stretcher and was later moved to a dark room where I was made to pass the night all by myself. At about 9.30pm a woman came to register/process me, she said to me, "according to my records you are Mr. Tom Chambers living at Newcastle County Galway and your GP is Dr Pat Conway." I was astounded to realise that both the address and the GP's name on her record were wrong. Much later while in the cold room nobody came to change my clothes, I went on the stretcher with the same clothes I wore when I had the accident until when I was discharged the next day.  At 12.30am a nurse opened my door and asked me if I would like a blanket.
At 8.00am the following morning I was taken out of the room to the nurses' station where I enjoyed a bit of heat at long last .The nurses monitored my heartbeat before I was discharged.  Panic set in at about 1.00pm when my heart started racing mad because the nurses administered to me the wrong heart medication.  I was later discharged at 5.00pm.
 I came back home and went to my GP who referred me to Mayo General Hospital. I was admitted and another X-ray taken which revealed that my backbone was fractured, contrary to the findings at Mater Hospital. And I was told nothing was wrong with my heart.  When I got discharged, I was given tablets for pains and to thin the blood.
I will like to know why I was discharged from Mater Hospital and had no information about my fractured backbone from their X-ray.  The Consultant told me that, if it the fracture was not detected on time, it would have led to a massive heart attack and I wouldn't be alive writing this letter today.  I'm writing to have this matter thoroughly investigated and be made to understand why a big Hospital like Mater should misdiagnose and mistreat such a life threatening incident.
 
Kind regards,
 
Tom Chambers.
 


No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.2741 / Virus Database: 2614/5837 - Release Date: 10/17/12

No comments: