Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Info

Mr. Dermot Langan

Manager

Westport Leisure Park

James Street

Westport

Co. Mayo.

01 03 05


Dear Dermot,

I want to thank you for your prompt reply and for my delay in getting
back to you.

Westport Leisure Park is an excellent asset for the people of Westport
and my only aim is to ensure that it is accessible to all.

With regard to the problems with the disabled toilets I would like to
make the following observations.

4.

The toilet was built to accommodate wheelchairs and the disabled
however modifications to the toilet since then mean that it is no
longer accessible to those in wheelchairs.

5.

The original complaint was made to me as a host of the Special
Olympics. The athlete in question did not feel it was appropriate
to raise a complaint in light of the wonderful hospitality
accorded to the athletes by your centre. Instead he mentioned it
quietly to me and I have checked it out myself and as qualified
and experienced Access Officer I can tell you that as it is at
present the toilet is not up to standard. A small amount of work
will put this right.

6.

The situation with the lift is the big problem. You have
dismantled your other lift as it is not up to the job and I must
ask you on behalf of the disabled to purchase and fit one that is
capable of lifting adults in and out of the pool. I will be happy
to lobby with you for funding to make this happen.

7.

The reception desk counter is very high for someone in a
wheelchair and I would ask that you lower a section of it.

I would be happy to chat with you about any of the above matters to see
what we can do together to make your centre into a totally accessible
resource for the Westport area. I am happy to advise you on any other
access related matters anytime.

Please feel free to contact me anytime and I look forward to hearing
from you shortly.

Sincerely

____________

Tom Chambers

Access Officer

Disability Campaigner

"The Billy Ranch"

Newport

Co. Mayo

No comments: