Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Letter to Mr.Peter Hynes Westport Town Council

Mr Peter Hynes
Town Manager
Westport Town Council

11th July 2005


Dear Peter,

I am writing to you in relation to the Barcelona Declaration concerning disabilities. As you know I have attended meetings organised by Mr Simon Wall in relation to car parking spaces in the town.

However it has been several months since the last meeting and several follow ups to the last meeting have not taken place even now. I was promised at the last meeting that the Town Engineer would accompany Elsie Higgins and myself around town to conduct a "snag" list of necessary action. I am disapointed that this has not yet happened.

I am also concerned with the layout, position, surface condition, access and signage in relation to several of the new and old disabled car parking spaces in the town and I would like to raise these issues, but again, there has not been a follow up meeting to allow me to do so.

Recently I have been assisting Ballina Town Council with the setting up of their Barcelona Committee to oversee their town's compliance with the declaration and I would respectfully suggest that Westport Town Council now form a committee to meet regularly and formally to address the town's disability needs.

I would also request to be a member of such a committee as I am qualified and willing to assist Westport in becoming a better place for all those with disabilities. I have noted that such a committee has been mooted on several occasions but that as yet nothing has happened. As the declaration is nearly 10 years old I think it is time Westport formalised its committment to disabilities.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely


Tom Chambers

No comments: