Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

www.thomaschambers.blogspot.com

Dear John,

It was great to see you after all these years. I believe it was 1986 since we met last at your Dads house. I was training for the Dublin City marathon at the time, which I beat successfully and continued to do three more times until I decided to retire.
I hope in the next couple of years we will have a good labour representation (yourself) and Jerry Cowley here in Mayo.
On a different subject I took time out on my way to Dublin to have a look at designated parking bays in Ballintubber and found one bay outside the local Garda Station that had blue paint on the ground but had no sign up to identify it. There was approximately 2-3 inches in difference of level from road to footpath making it inaccessible for wheelchair users to use on there own. Eventually after driving through the town in and out and back and over, and found another bay same again the place was blue and no place to identify it. It was located in Market Square outside a public house that was closed down (the name escapes me). I can see no differences in those bays only that they have a coat of paint (blue paint) and are the same size of bay for able bodied drivers. Designated parking bays should be at least 4800mm long and 3600mm wide with signage indicating the location of designated spaces and should incorporate the International Symbol of Access.
I checked for designated parking bays in Strokes town and much the same there an ordinary bay painted in blue with no signs. All those bags are totally inaccessible for disabled drivers using his/her wheelchair.

Maybe we could meet sometime to discuss this in more detail.

Kindest Regards
Tom


Thomas Chambers
Access Campaigner
The Billy Ranch
Newport
Mayo

www.thomaschambers.blogspot.com

086 3552047
098 41545

No comments: